The historic Lenox Lounge, located at 288 Lenox Avenue, between 124/125th Streets, was actually founded in 1942 by Dominic Greco. The bar was purchased by Alvin Reid, Sr. in 1988, and with the help of low-interest government loans, it underwent a restoration between 1999 and 2000.
Rent, began for Reid at $3,000.00 per month and remained there until 1996, when it was raised to $9,925.00 per month. But the historic bar never picked up the buzz and the traction that it had in the 1940’s, and with rent about to increase to $20,000 per month, it became impossible to sign a new lease. The 2,500 square-foot, or 29-foot by 6-foot historic bar was stripped of its historic art deco interior, including banquettes, etched mirrors, and the Zebra Room, as well as exterior historic facade panels by Reid on the last day of December, 2012. The historic Lenox Lounge carried piece by piece, out the front doors (which were also taken) filling two trucks ~ and signaling the end of the historic bar. The Lenox Lounge was never Landmarked.
The gutted space that once was the Lenox Lounge sat empty until demolition in May, 2017. Signage went up on the fence in front of the empty lot in August, 2017, with a rendering of a four-story building that will be going up. Timeline of the demolition in images, below.
Rendering on the fence August 30, 2017 of what is to become of the now, empty lot, that once house the historic Lenox Lounge. Below, the demolition, which began on May 5, 2017.