The Salmagundi Club Celebrates 100 Years

 

 

Parlor floor, Salmagundi Club, 47 Fifth Avenue

The Salmagundi Club is celebrating 100 years, and to commemorate this milestone, the club will pay homage to the building and its membership activities with a visual tribute to Greenwich Village with the exhibit, The Salmagundi Show.

John DiBiase, ‘Christopher Street’; John Mansueto, ‘Stonewall’; Bonnie Seiler, ‘Memories’.

As part of the SCNY 100 Year Celebration, the exhibit, The Salmagundi Show is a tribute to the history of the club’s surroundings ~ Greenwich Village – in a visual appreciation  of the neighborhood that has been home to the club for 100 years.

Clockwise-Top, Anthony almeida ‘Sojourn of Light and Line, David A. Leffel, Master and Students’, Black and White; Jeffrey Friedkin, ‘Salmagundi Nights’, Photography; Seth Harris, ‘The Realism Show’; Joe Goldman,’ Visiting Model’, Photography; Gregg Kreutz, ‘Salmagundi Poolroom’, Oil on Linen.

The Salmagundi Show will be on view from February 20 to March 9, 2018 in the Lower Gallery, Salmagundi Club, 47 Fifth Avenue, between 11th and 12th Streets.  Reception to be held on March 1st from 6-9pm.

Image via The Salmagundi Club

Continuing with the 100 Year Celebration, the Salmagundi Centennial Exhibition and Sale is a throwback to the 1917 art sale the year The Salmagundi Club purchased its current building. The show will be on view from March 12 to March 23rd, with a Reception on March 22nd.  The sale will include many well-known artists from the membership (and beyond), who have contributed artwork, raising funds during the centennial.

Library on the second floor of Salmagundi Club

The Salmagundi Club is one of the oldest art organizations in the United States, beginning as the New York Sketch Club in 1871.  The club was renamed in 1877 in honor of Washington Irving’s publication ‘The Salmagundi Papers‘ and for the famous ‘Salmagundi Stew‘ that was often served in the club’s dining room. After meeting in a variety of locations throughout Greenwich Village, including 14 West Twelfth Street, the club purchased its current residence at 47 Fifth Avenue in 1917 from the president of the Pennsylvania Coal Company.  The building was designated a Historical Landmark in 1969, and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. Over the years, changes have been made to the building, with a major restoration project taking place in 2013.

Members of the club have included such well-known figures as Childe Hassam, William Merritt Chase, Louis Comfort Tiffany, Stanford White, Augustus Saint-Gaudens, John LaFarge, N.C. Wyeth and Guy Wiggens, to name a few.

Dinning room, lower level, The Salmagundi Club

The Salmagundi Club is open seven days a week, from 1:00-5:00pm, free and open to the public. Check calendar of events for more exhibits and events and art workshops.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *