NYC Parks invites artists to submit proposals for the Highland Park Art Grant. The winning artist will receive an award of $25,000 to create their proposed artwork for display outdoors in Highland Park, which is on the border of Brooklyn and Queens. The artwork will be installed on the Brooklyn side in summer 2023 and will be on view for up to one year.
The Highland Park Art Grant will be awarded to one emerging artist who submits the most compelling proposal for an outdoor sculpture for Highland Park. This award is open to New York City-based artists who have specialized training in their field (not necessarily gained in an academic institution); who are at an early stage in their career; and who have created a modest independent body of work.
Additional details include:
- Priority will be given to proposals that respond directly to the park and its neighborhood.
- Artists are strongly encouraged to visit the designated areas in Highland Park before submitting a proposal.
- Proposals will be judged according to artistic and creative merit, response to the surrounding community, and suitability to the site.
- Full guidelines are available on the Parks’ website.
Important related dates are as follows:
- Parks will host a virtual grant information session November 15, 2022 (see guidelines for more info)
- The proposal deadline is December 18, 2022.
- Award recipients will be announced in January 2023
Proposals for previously exhibited sculptures will not be accepted.
For more than 50 years, NYC Parks’ Art in the Parks program has brought contemporary public artworks to the city’s parks, making New York City one of the world’s largest open-air galleries. Parks has consistently fostered the creation and installation of temporary public art in parks throughout the five boroughs. Since 1967, NYC Parks has collaborated with arts organizations and artists to produce more than 2,000 public artworks by 1,300 notable and emerging artists in +200 parks.
Remember, the deadline for Highland Park Temporary Outdoor Sculpture Proposals is December 18, 2022.
More about NYC Parks’ Art in the Parks.