On Saturday, April 20th beginning at 10 a.m. the world famous Apollo Theater will hold auditions for the 2019-2020 seasons of its signature program Amateur Night at the Apollo. From 10 a.m. to 12 p.m., dancers will audition to secure a spot in a special all-dance edition of Amateur Night. Auditions for all other art forms will continue from 12 p.m. until 6 p.m. Contestants chosen from these auditions will get a spot in the 2019-2020 Amateur Night season line-up. Auditions will be held at the Apollo Theater where Amateur Night producers will screen the first 250 vocalists, rappers, dancers, comedians, spoken word artists, and other performers vying for a coveted spot on the Apollo’s stage, where they will then compete for a chance to win the grand prize amount of $20,000.
Since its inception in 1934, the Apollo Theater’s signature show, Amateur Night, has been one of New York City’s most popular live entertainment experiences, launching the careers of thousands of performers and attracting audiences from all over the world. Amateur Night has long been revered by artists as a transformative experience where up-and-coming talent feel the power of the legendary performers who have come before them, and where audience responses can help make or break a career. Ella Fitzgerald, Stevie Wonder, Lauryn Hill and H.E.R. are just a few of the legendary performers who launched their careers on the Apollo stage.
Each contestant will have up to 90 seconds to audition. An Amateur is anyone who has not had a recording, film or TV contract with a major studio.
- No profanity including any racial epithets or slurs (Including the N-Word) all material must be appropriate for a family show.
- Children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Only children ages 5 to 17 will be considered for the “Child Star of Tomorrow” segment.
- Contestants competing in the adult category must be 18 years or older.
- No lip-synching, singing along with track lead vocals or post-production engineering of lead vocals permitted.
- The audition is open to singers, dancers, comedians, spoken word artists, musicians and other variety performances.
- Singers can bring music in a MP3 file format and player i.e. flash drive, phone or MP3 player or sing a cappella. NO STREAMING FROM INTERNET ALLOWED.
- Apollo will provide an 88 key-keyboard (Motif 8 – Semi-Weighted) for any auditioning musicians or accompanist.
- Apollo will provide a drum kit (bring your own sticks).
- Musicians and bands must bring their own instruments other than one keyboard and drums as mentioned above.
- Dancers should bring music in a MP3 format. NO STREAMING ALLOWED.
- CDs will not be allowed.
Contestants chosen will secure a spot in the Amateur Night at the Apollo 2019-2020 seasons, competing for a chance to win a grand prize of $20,000.
Celebrating its 85th Anniversary, The Apollo Theater is located at 253 West 125th Street, between Adam Clayton Powell Jr Blvd and Frederick Douglass Blvd in Harlem.
Don’t forget to rub the Stump!