Save the Date for The 2024 Lucy G. Moses Preservation Awards

 

 

 

The Plaza Hotel, with the Public Art Fund art installation ‘Isa Genzken: Two Orchids’ on the Doris C. Freedman Plaza in the forefront.

The Lucy G. Moses Preservation Awards are the Conservancy’s highest honors for outstanding preservation. The awards presentation will take place on Wednesday, April 10th at 6:00pm at The Plaza, 768 Fifth Avenue, NYC.

Purchase Tickets Here

Roberta Brandes Gratz, Preservation Leadership Award

This year the Conservancy will honor Roberta Brandes Gratz with the Preservation Leadership Award. A longtime preservation leader, Gratz served on the City’s Landmark Preservation Commission. She also led a heroic effort to restore the Eldridge Street Synagogue, now the Museum at Eldridge Street.

Here is the list of Preservation Project Awardees:

35-37 West 23rd Street

The 35-37 West 23rd Street project is located in the Ladies’ Mile Historic District.

 

75th Police Precinct Station, 486 Liberty Avenue, Brooklyn

Affectionately known to the local community as ‘The Castle’, 486 Liberty Avenue ~ the former 75th Police Precinct Station – was designed to protect the rapidly growing population in the 1880s and 1890s in Brooklyn.

 

424 Fifth Avenue, NYC

424 Fifth Avenue, known as the Lord and Taylor Building, dates back to 1914 when it was originally built as the flagship headquarters of America’s first and oldest department store.

 

Gould Memorial Library, Bronx Community College, 2155 University Avenue, Bronx

Designed by Stanford White in 1899 and 1901, the Gould Memorial Library were designated City Landmarks in 1966, with the library interior following in 1981. The open terrace with Guastavino vaults and tile roof contains the busts of noted scientists, writers, politicians and many other important American figures.

 

James Earl Jones Theatre, 138 West 48th Street, NYC

The James Earl Jones Theatre project was conceived as a way to enhance and extend the life of the 100-year-old landmarked theatre, and upgrade the historic theatre to provide modern day upgrades for production and the audience.

 

La MaMa Experimental Theater Club, 74 East 4th Street, NYC

The individually landmarked building located at 74 East 4th Street was constructed in 1873 as a German professional orchestral musicians’ association in the heart of what was then New York’s “Kleindeutschland,” later became home to a German singing society, several public meeting and dance halls, the Newsboys Athletic Hall, a laundry, and a meatpacking plant. In the late 1960s, however, it was rescued from abandonment by the scrappy new Off-Off-Broadway theater organization founded by Ellen Stewart, which would become an incomparable powerhouse in its field.

 

Lever House, 390 Park Avenue, NYC

When completed in 1952, Lever House was among the first skyscrapers to use glass curtain walls. It gained landmark status just 30 years after completion in a preservation of modern heritage. The lobby entrance and surrounding sidewalk area are often used for art exhibitions. Currently on view, the installation ‘Ellsworth Kelly: Sculpture‘ – on view through April 28, 2024.

 

Masonic Hall NYC, 71 West 23rd Street, NYC

The original Masonic Temple was designed by Napoleon LeBrun and erected on West 23rd Street in 1870. The Masons built Masonic Hall on adjoining property as an addition to the Temple. It was decided to replace the Masonic Temple with a loft building to generate income to finance the lodge’s activities. This building was erected in 1913.

Masonic Hall and Masonic Building are included in the Ladies Mile Historic District, designated by NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1989.

 

Most Precious Blood Roman Catholic Church, 32-23 36th Street, Astoria

Erected in 1932, the Most Precious Blood Roman Catholic Church  was designed by the preeminent architects McGill & Hamlin, who specialized in ecclesiastical buildings. The project has paid particular attention to the restoration of intricate Art Deco aluminum decorative metalwork. Today, the church serves parishioners with Masses celebrated in English, Croatian, Spanish and Tagalog.

 

New York Life Insurance Building, 51 Madison Avenue

The New York Life Insurance Building was designed by architect Cass Gilbert, who also designed the Woolworth Building and the U.S. Supreme Court Building. With its 40-stories, 38 elevators, 2,200 windows and 72 gargoyles, it opened in 1928.

 

Powerhouse Arts, 322 Third Avenue, Brooklyn

The site, at 322 Third Avenue in Brooklyn, was originally developed and used as a power station for the Brooklyn Rapid Transit (BRT) System. The main original buildings at the site constructed around 1900 were the Turbine Hall and Boiler House, which abutted each other and shared a party wall. The Boiler House superstructure was demolished in the 1950s, while the Turbine Hall (and the party wall) were left in place.

 

Queens Plaza Clocktower, 29-27 Queens Plaza North, Long Island City

The iconic Long Island City Clock Tower, which has towered over Queens Plaza since 1927, is one of the most significant architectural landmarks in Queens. Known historically as the Bank of Manhattan Building (29–27 Queens Plaza North), the Clock Tower was designed by architect Morrell Smith and was the tallest building in the borough until the Citigroup building (1 Court Square) was erected in 1990.

 

Ridges Residences, Stuyvesant Heights, Brooklyn

Largely developed between 1870 and 1920, Stuyvesant Heights Historic District and its masonry row houses remain relatively intact today. The Historic District also contains a number of impressive churches of various denominations.

 

Saint John the Baptist Roman Catholic Church, 333 Hart Street, Brooklyn

In 1868, the Congregation of the Mission, the religious order of priests and brothers known as the Vincentians, founded the parish “Mary, Queen of the Isles” that was to become St. John the Baptist Parish in 1888.

 

About New York Landmarks Conservancy 

From the smallest buildings to the most extraordinary landmarks, to our diverse neighborhoods, the New York Landmarks Conservancy preserves and protects the unique architectural heritage of the City we love.
We are on the frontlines, giving New York’s preservation needs a voice, advocating for sensible development, providing financial assistance and technical expertise—all to ensure that the character of our city continues to enrich the quality of life for all New Yorkers.