The Breuer Building Opens it’s Doors to Frick Madison on March 18th!

 

 

 

‘detail’ Marcel Breuer building. Courtesy of The Metropolitan Museum of Art. Now the temporary home of Frick Madison

The Frick Collection announced today that it will open the doors to Frick Madison, its temporary new home, on Thursday, March 18, 2021. Located at the Breuer-designed building at 945 Madison Avenue at 75th Street, former site of the Met Breuer and the Whitney Museum of American Art, Frick Madison will welcome visitors Thursday through Sunday, 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Timed entry tickets will need to be purchased in advance, with online sales beginning February 19. The Frick Collection will operate Frick Madison for approximately two years while its historic buildings on East 70th Street undergo renovation. This temporary relocation enables the Frick to provide public access to its celebrated collections during a time when the museum and library would otherwise be closed.

Purchase Advance Tickets Now

‘detail’ Giovanni Bellini (c. 1430 – 1516) St. Francis in the Desert, 1480oil and tempera on poplar panel49 in. x 55 7/8 in. (124.46 cm x 141.92 cm)Henry Clay Frick Bequest.Accession number: 1915.1.03

Comments Ian Wardropper, Anna-Maria and Stephen Kellen Director, “While the Frick has successfully maintained contact with audiences locally, nationally, and around the globe through our thought-provoking digital programs since having to close last March, we have greatly missed the direct, in-person interactions with the public. We are looking forward to sharing our collections again in person, reframed in a setting that has inspired fresh perspectives.”

In a departure from the institution’s customary domestic presentation style, Frick Madison offers the public the opportunity to experience highlights from the collection organized chronologically and by region. Presented over three floors, the Frick Madison installation features treasured paintings and sculptures by Bellini, Clodion, Gainsborough, Goya, Holbein, Houdon, Ingres, Rembrandt, Titian, Turner, Velázquez, Verrocchio, Vermeer, Whistler, and many others, alongside impressive holdings in the decorative arts. Rarely displayed works include important seventeenth-century Mughal carpets and long-stored canvases from the famed series The Progress of Love by Jean-Honoré Fragonard, to be shown together in its entirety for the first time in the Frick’s history. The installation also debuts new acquisitions in several media. A reading room is available by appointment for researchers and others who use the rich art historical resources of the Frick Art Reference Library.

‘detail’ Johannes Vermeer (1632 – 1675) Officer and Laughing Girl, 1655-1660 oil on canvas 19 7/8 x 8 1/8 inches; The Frick Collection, New York; Photo: Michael Bodycomb

The installation is organized by the Frick’s curatorial team, led by Xavier F. Salomon, Deputy Director and Peter Jay Sharp Chief Curator, with Curator Aimee Ng, incoming Assistant Curator Giulio Dalvit, and former Curator of Decorative Arts Charlotte Vignon, now director of the Musée National de Céramique in Sèvres, France. The plan has been created in consultation with the Frick’s longtime exhibition designer Stephen Saitas and Selldorf Architects, the firm responsible for the institution’s building project.

Major support for the installation is provided by Bloomberg Philanthropies, Denise Littlefield Sobel, an anonymous gift in memory of Melvin R. Seiden, The Christian Humann Foundation, and by David and Julie Tobey. Additional funding is generously provided by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, Acquavella Family Foundation, The Arthur F. and Alice E. Adams Charitable Foundation, Larry Gagosian, Drue and H.J. Heinz II Charitable Trust, the Malcolm Hewitt Wiener Foundation, The Honorable and Mrs. Earle Mack, The Gladys Krieble Delmas Foundation, Joanne Payson in memory of John Whitney Payson, Fabrizio Moretti, the David L. Klein, Jr. Foundation, Elizabeth F. Stribling and Guy Robinson, Eiko and Michael Assael, Christie’s, Elise Frick, Hubert and Mireille Goldschmidt, Jane Richards in honor of Elizabeth M. Eveillard, and Sotheby’s.

‘detail’ Joseph Mallord William Turner (1775 – 1851) Harbor of Dieppe: Changement de Domicile, exhibited 1825, but subsequently dated 1826; Oil on canvas; 68 3/8 x 88 3/4 inches; The Frick collection, New York; Photo: Michael Bodycomb

Frick Madison will be open four days a week, Thursday through Sunday, 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. The health and safety of our visitors are of the utmost importance, and all measures in place are in keeping with federal guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and New York State and City. The occupancy of the museum’s galleries will be capped at 25%. Ticket link for all museum and library reservations: frick.org/tickets.

  • Tickets purchased online in advance are required for general admission. Online ticket sales begin February 19.
  • Members may reserve free tickets online and will enjoy a separate expedited process for entry.
  • Free admission to the reading room is also timed and by appointment. Online reservations begin February 19.
  • Face coverings are required and must be worn by all visitors and staff. Social distancing will be strictly enforced. The coat check is closed until further notice. Visitors will not be allowed to carry oversized items into the galleries.
‘detail’ Northern India; Carpet with Trees, ca. 1630; Silk (warp and weft) and pashmina (pile); 7 7/16 x 6 5/16 feet; The Frick Collection, New York; Photo: Michael Bodycomb

A printed guide is available free of charge. Visitors may also enhance their experience with a new curator-led audio guide available on the Bloomberg Connects App, using their own phones rather than borrowed devices. This free downloadable guide, launched in June 2020, is available now and updated monthly with new content.

A light menu of refreshments and snacks, offered by Joe Coffee, will be available during museum hours, with seating outdoors.

Frick Madison is located at 945 Madison Avenue at 75th Street, NYC. Become a Member.

Read more about breaking ground and the extensive renovation at The Frick Collection, 1 East 70th Street, NYC.

While you’re there, take a short walk to Lexington Avenue and the oldest family-owned luncheonette in NYC ~ The Lexington Candy Shop.

Leave a Reply