The Public Theater announced a fabulous schedule of performances for its Summer of Joy Mobile Unit. The Mobile Unit will be touring all five boroughs from July 31 to August 29, 2021 ~ all performances free and open to the public.
Update ~ The August 15th performance on East 125th Street has been CANCELLED.
MOBILE UNIT’S SUMMER OF JOY will be a pop-up experience in New York’s open spaces with three key community and performance elements. Each day will begin with the National Black Theatre’s Stage for Healing and Resilience, co-produced by The Public Theater and National Black Theatre in continuation of a relationship that dates back to the 1960s. This community stage will be followed by VERSES @ WORK – THE ABRIDGED MIX, written and performed by Mobile Unit artist Malik Work. The experience will culminate in SHAKESPEARE: CALL AND RESPONSE, conceived and directed by Patricia McGregor. The tour stops will also be visited by People’s Bus, a project of the NYC Civic Engagement Commission that focuses on five initiatives: well-being and mental health; climate justice and environmental health; know your rights education; food security; and participatory budgeting and economic empowerment.
Here is the Tour Schedule: All performances begin at 4:30 p.m., except for the August 8 performance at Johnny Hartman Plaza, which will begin at 2:00 p.m.
- July 31 – August 1: Astor Place (Manhattan)
- August 5-6: Roberto Clemente Plaza (Bronx)
- August 7: Johnny Hartman Plaza (Manhattan)
- August 8: 125th Street Metro NorthPlaza at Park Avenue (Manhattan)
- August 12: Osborn Plaza (Brooklyn)
- August 13: Albee Square (Brooklyn)
- August 15: 125th Street Metro North Plaza at Park Avenue (Manhattan) CALCELLED
- August 20: Albee Square (Brooklyn)
- August 21-22: Myrtle/Wyckoff Plaza (Queens)
- August 19, 26, and 27: Minthorne Street (Staten Island)
- August 28-29: Osborn Plaza (Brooklyn)
Schedule, location, and time are subject to change.