Built in 1845, the historic pair of townhouses, 14-15 Gramercy Park South, was home to Samuel J. Tilden, former governor of New York. who lived there until his death in 1886. Calvert Vaux, who became its next owner, combined the two row houses, creating the building that stands now ~ and has been home to The National Arts Club since 1906. Take a look inside with a few images below, or take a fabulous virtual tour!
The Club’s Membership has included three U.S. Presidents: Theodore Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson and Dwight D. Eisenhower. Among the distinguished painters who have been members are Robert Henri, Frederic Remington, William Merritt Chase and Cecilia Beaux. Sculptors Augustus Saint-Gaudens, Daniel Chester French, Anna Hyatt Huntington and Paul Manship were all members as were composer Victor Herbert, conductor Walter Damrosch, photographer Alfred Stieglitz and architects Stanford White and George B. Post. And it is important to note that the Club admitted women on a full and equal basis from its inception.
While it is a private Club, rotating art exhibitions are on view in the ground-level galleries and on the parlor floor, free and open to the public on a regular basis.
Over the years, the Club has been used for several prominent film and television productions, as well as numerous prominent photo shoots and fashion shows, including Boardwalk Empire, Law & Order SVU, and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel to name just a few.
There is nothing quite like The National Arts Club during the Holidays, so here we share some of our treasured images.
The National Arts Club was designated a New York City Landmark in 1966, and declared a National Historic Landmark in 1976, located in the Gramercy Park Historic District.
Head south to Greenwich Village and take a look inside another historic arts club The Salmagundi Club, also free and open to the public.